Safety note: Admin approval is an initial review, not a guarantee that every detail is correct. Check important or urgent claims with official sources and report anything inaccurate or unsafe.
Source and credit: Contributor's own report
Missing Sydney Teen Lily Hooper Found Dead After Eight-Day Search - Sydney, NSW
Smart summary
The body of 18-year-old Lily Hooper, who disappeared during a solo hike in Nattai National Park, has been found after an extensive multi-agency search.
The search for 18-year-old Sydney teenager Lily Hooper has ended tragically after NSW Police confirmed that a woman's body was found in bushland in the Southern Highlands on Thursday, 20 August 2026. Police said the body, located at approximately 11:30am, is believed to be Lily's, although formal identification is still pending. A report will be prepared for the coroner.
Lily, who lived in Oakdale in Sydney's south-west, left home at around 8am on 12 August intending to hike in Nattai National Park. She was reported missing after she failed to return home that evening. Police later located her vehicle near the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail on Wanganderry Road, prompting a large search operation across the rugged national park.
The search involved numerous emergency and specialist agencies, including NSW Police, State Emergency Service, NSW Ambulance, Fire and Rescue NSW and Australian Defence Force personnel. Drones, helicopters and specialist search teams were also deployed as crews worked through difficult terrain. Close to 100 ADF personnel joined the operation during its final stages.
Police had previously described Lily as an experienced hiker. Initial inquiries indicated that she had reached the summit of Bonnum Pic during the morning of August 12 and had sent messages from the trail earlier that day. After communication stopped and she failed to return home, authorities began an extensive search for her.
The discovery of the body brought an end to more than a week of searching, but the circumstances surrounding Lily's death remain subject to investigation. Police have indicated that a report will be provided to the coroner. At this stage, authorities have not indicated that foul play is suspected.
The incident also resulted in a serious communication error on Thursday. NSW Premier Chris Minns initially told Parliament that Lily had been found alive, after receiving incorrect information about the search. Within minutes, he returned to correct the announcement and confirmed that Lily had died. He apologised to Lily's family and said he was profoundly sorry for the additional distress caused by the incorrect information.
NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Joe Cassar later explained that the difficult terrain contributed to confusion in the initial reports from the search area. Authorities said the initial information that Lily had been found alive was corrected after a more accurate report was received from personnel at the scene. The handling of the communication is expected to be reviewed as part of the broader investigation.
The tragedy has prompted condolences from political leaders and renewed attention on the extensive efforts made by emergency services and volunteers during the search. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Opposition Leader Angus Taylor both paid tribute to Lily and expressed sympathy for her family.
LilySearchPoliceFoundAugust
The search for 18-year-old Sydney teenager Lily Hooper has ended tragically after NSW Police confirmed that a woman's body was found in bushland in the Southern Highlands on Thursday, 20 August 2026. Police said the body, located at approximately 11:30am, is believed to be Lily's, although formal identification is still pending. A report will be prepared for the coroner.
Lily, who lived in Oakdale in Sydney's south-west, left home at around 8am on 12 August intending to hike in Nattai National Park. She was reported missing after she failed to return home that evening. Police later located her vehicle near the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail on Wanganderry Road, prompting a large search operation across the rugged national park.
The search involved numerous emergency and specialist agencies, including NSW Police, State Emergency Service, NSW Ambulance, Fire and Rescue NSW and Australian Defence Force personnel. Drones, helicopters and specialist search teams were also deployed as crews worked through difficult terrain. Close to 100 ADF personnel joined the operation during its final stages.
Police had previously described Lily as an experienced hiker. Initial inquiries indicated that she had reached the summit of Bonnum Pic during the morning of August 12 and had sent messages from the trail earlier that day. After communication stopped and she failed to return home, authorities began an extensive search for her.
The discovery of the body brought an end to more than a week of searching, but the circumstances surrounding Lily's death remain subject to investigation. Police have indicated that a report will be provided to the coroner. At this stage, authorities have not indicated that foul play is suspected.
The incident also resulted in a serious communication error on Thursday. NSW Premier Chris Minns initially told Parliament that Lily had been found alive, after receiving incorrect information about the search. Within minutes, he returned to correct the announcement and confirmed that Lily had died. He apologised to Lily's family and said he was profoundly sorry for the additional distress caused by the incorrect information.
NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Joe Cassar later explained that the difficult terrain contributed to confusion in the initial reports from the search area. Authorities said the initial information that Lily had been found alive was corrected after a more accurate report was received from personnel at the scene. The handling of the communication is expected to be reviewed as part of the broader investigation.
The tragedy has prompted condolences from political leaders and renewed attention on the extensive efforts made by emergency services and volunteers during the search. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Opposition Leader Angus Taylor both paid tribute to Lily and expressed sympathy for her family.
A student was injured during an alleged stabbing at Granville South Creative and Performing Arts High School in Guildford, with another teenager taken i...
Gold Coast and Beenleigh train services were disrupted for hours after emergency crews responded to an incident near Yatala during Thursday morning’s pe...
A compliance blitz across Port Macquarie has resulted in 21 fines being issued at local building sites, highlighting increased scrutiny of construction...
A student was injured during an alleged stabbing at Granville South Creative and Performing Arts High School in Guildford, with another teenager taken i...
A compliance blitz across Port Macquarie has resulted in 21 fines being issued at local building sites, highlighting increased scrutiny of construction...
Port Macquarie, NSW · Community News · 19 Aug 2026
The proposed $13.28 million Ocean Pool at Oxley Beach has reached the state determination stage, but cost and coastal-risk concerns remain part of the l...
Orange City Council has launched its first Reconciliation Action Plan, marking a new step toward strengthening relationships with Aboriginal and Torres...
A month-long community campaign is encouraging Gosnells residents to donate breakfast essentials to help local people experiencing homelessness and hard...
A student was injured during an alleged stabbing at Granville South Creative and Performing Arts High School in Guildford, with another teenager taken i...
Councillors remain divided over a proposal to shift management of eight public aquatic centres to a private operator, with the final vote due on August 25.