Victoria Police are continuing an investigation into a reported sexual assault at a hotel in East Melbourne, following an incident reported in the early hours of Monday, 17 August 2026. The investigation has attracted significant attention because the hotel was being used by the Sydney Swans AFL team after the club's match against Essendon at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Police have confirmed that several people at the hotel were spoken to as part of their inquiries.

Police said the incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in East Melbourne. Their latest statement says the exact circumstances have not yet been established and the investigation remains ongoing. Police also confirmed that they spoke to a number of people at the hotel, but no one had been arrested or formally interviewed at the time of the latest update.

Several Sydney Swans players have been reported as having spoken with police in connection with the investigation. However, this should not be interpreted as an allegation that those players committed an offence. Reports emphasise that no players have been arrested or charged, and the investigation is still determining what occurred.

The Sydney Swans have also started their own internal review. Club officials have said they are cooperating with authorities and the AFL while attempting to establish the circumstances surrounding the reported incident. The club has described the reported conduct as inconsistent with its expected standards and has indicated that internal action may be considered separately from the police investigation.

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon described the allegations as deeply concerning. He said the wellbeing and privacy of any alleged victim or victims should be respected while the police process continues. The AFL has indicated that the matter raises broader questions about behaviour and responsibility within professional sport.

Sydney Swans coach Dean Cox has also expressed disappointment about the situation. The club is continuing to gather information while authorities conduct their investigation. Officials have stressed that speculation should not replace the formal police process.

The investigation follows the Swans' 36-point victory over Essendon at the MCG on Sunday. The team stayed overnight in Melbourne before travelling back to Sydney. The reported incident at the hotel subsequently became the subject of a police investigation.

Because the investigation concerns an alleged sexual assault, details should be presented carefully. At this stage, police have not established the exact circumstances, and there has been no criminal finding against any individual. The people spoken to by police should not automatically be described as suspects or offenders.

The case remains active, with Victoria Police continuing to gather information and establish what happened at the hotel. The AFL and Sydney Swans are also considering the matter from a sporting and organisational perspective.