Safety note: Admin approval is an initial review, not a guarantee that every detail is correct. Check important or urgent claims with official sources and report anything inaccurate or unsafe.
Source and credit: Contributor's own report
Geelong line trains resume after hours of disruption caused by signalling fault - Geelong, VIC
Smart summary
Train services on Victoria's Geelong Line have returned after a complex signalling and telecommunications fault between Lara and Manor Junction forced the suspension of services for more than five hours, leaving hundr...
Train services on Victoria's busy Geelong Line have resumed after a major signalling and telecommunications fault caused widespread disruption for commuters travelling between Geelong and Melbourne on Friday, 3 July. The incident marked the second major interruption on the line in the same week, following cable theft that disrupted services just days earlier.
The disruption began at approximately 7:30am, when a complex rail equipment fault occurred between Lara and Manor Junction. As a result, V/Line suspended all train services between Waurn Ponds and Wyndham Vale, replacing them with more than 40 coach services while technicians worked to restore the railway. Transport Victoria also deployed signal specialists and coordinated traffic management around affected level crossings.
The fault affected thousands of morning commuters travelling to Melbourne for work and study. Passengers reported long waits for replacement buses at stations including South Geelong, Corio and North Geelong, while some experienced significant delays because coaches became caught in peak-hour traffic. Around 500 passengers were affected during the busiest part of the morning, with V/Line staff distributing snacks and water to stranded travellers at Geelong Station.
The signalling issue also caused problems beyond the rail network. Several level crossing boom gates around Lara and Corio remained activated for extended periods, creating heavy traffic congestion. Police and traffic management crews were deployed to assist motorists and safely manage vehicle movements while engineers investigated the fault.
At approximately 1:30pm, V/Line confirmed that train services had resumed after engineers repaired the fault. The operator advised passengers that services would continue to experience minor delays throughout Friday afternoon while trains and crews returned to their scheduled positions. Travellers were encouraged to check the latest service updates before departing.
V/Line apologised to passengers for the disruption and thanked commuters for their patience. The company confirmed the fault was not related to the cable theft that disrupted services earlier in the week near Tarneit, describing Friday's incident as a separate signalling and telecommunications failure. Earlier this week, vandalism involving stolen rail cables also forced coaches to replace trains for several hours, highlighting ongoing reliability challenges on Victoria's busiest regional rail corridor.
The repeated disruptions prompted frustration from regular commuters, many of whom expressed concern over the reliability of the Geelong Line after experiencing multiple service failures in a matter of days. Some passengers said better communication and faster deployment of replacement transport would improve future responses. Community discussions on social media also reflected growing dissatisfaction with recurring interruptions.
Although services have now returned to normal, V/Line has reminded passengers to continue checking live travel updates, as temporary delays may continue while the timetable fully recovers. Transport authorities said investigations into the signalling failure are continuing to determine the cause and reduce the likelihood of similar incidents in the future.
LineServicesFaultGeelongPassengers
Train services on Victoria's busy Geelong Line have resumed after a major signalling and telecommunications fault caused widespread disruption for commuters travelling between Geelong and Melbourne on Friday, 3 July. The incident marked the second major interruption on the line in the same week, following cable theft that disrupted services just days earlier.
The disruption began at approximately 7:30am, when a complex rail equipment fault occurred between Lara and Manor Junction. As a result, V/Line suspended all train services between Waurn Ponds and Wyndham Vale, replacing them with more than 40 coach services while technicians worked to restore the railway. Transport Victoria also deployed signal specialists and coordinated traffic management around affected level crossings.
The fault affected thousands of morning commuters travelling to Melbourne for work and study. Passengers reported long waits for replacement buses at stations including South Geelong, Corio and North Geelong, while some experienced significant delays because coaches became caught in peak-hour traffic. Around 500 passengers were affected during the busiest part of the morning, with V/Line staff distributing snacks and water to stranded travellers at Geelong Station.
The signalling issue also caused problems beyond the rail network. Several level crossing boom gates around Lara and Corio remained activated for extended periods, creating heavy traffic congestion. Police and traffic management crews were deployed to assist motorists and safely manage vehicle movements while engineers investigated the fault.
At approximately 1:30pm, V/Line confirmed that train services had resumed after engineers repaired the fault. The operator advised passengers that services would continue to experience minor delays throughout Friday afternoon while trains and crews returned to their scheduled positions. Travellers were encouraged to check the latest service updates before departing.
V/Line apologised to passengers for the disruption and thanked commuters for their patience. The company confirmed the fault was not related to the cable theft that disrupted services earlier in the week near Tarneit, describing Friday's incident as a separate signalling and telecommunications failure. Earlier this week, vandalism involving stolen rail cables also forced coaches to replace trains for several hours, highlighting ongoing reliability challenges on Victoria's busiest regional rail corridor.
The repeated disruptions prompted frustration from regular commuters, many of whom expressed concern over the reliability of the Geelong Line after experiencing multiple service failures in a matter of days. Some passengers said better communication and faster deployment of replacement transport would improve future responses. Community discussions on social media also reflected growing dissatisfaction with recurring interruptions.
Although services have now returned to normal, V/Line has reminded passengers to continue checking live travel updates, as temporary delays may continue while the timetable fully recovers. Transport authorities said investigations into the signalling failure are continuing to determine the cause and reduce the likelihood of similar incidents in the future.
A dramatic close call at Brisbane's Howard Smith Wharves has reignited discussions about pedestrian safety, rider responsibility and the use of shared p...
From European-style villages and tropical rainforests to turquoise beaches and dramatic desert landscapes, these Australian locations offer internationa...
The City of Moreton Bay will launch Australia's first next-generation AI traffic light pilot in Petrie, using intelligent sensors and artificial intelli...
A motorcyclist has died following a crash involving a car at Baringa on the Sunshine Coast, with police investigating the circumstances of the fatal col...
The celebrity-backed Australian sunglasses company has collapsed after a court ordered it to be wound up, with more than $600,000 of stock and other bus...
A redesigned network will add a new high-frequency route and more than 270 weekly services when changes begin across the southern Gold Coast on Septembe...